Württemberger Hof

 

Hohenlohe history

Hohenlohe was not originally a geographical term but a dynastic term. The "Hohenlohe" dynasty gave the territory its name. This did not happen overnight, it is the result of a development over hundreds of years. First of all the name referred to the subjects of the Counts of Hohenlohe, and after 1806 when the Hohenlohe princes lost their sovereignty, it became a territory name and common name.

Hohenlohe now also included the town of Hall on its outskirts and its surrounding area, as well as the Würzburg and Mainz estates long the Kocher and Jagst rivers. Today the whole north-eastern part of Württemberg is called "Hohenlohe". The Hohenlohe people are not Swabian but Franconian.

The "Hohenlohe" dynasty comes from the eastern part of the state, approximately the area bordering onto Bavaria. It's only later that the centre of Hohenlohe shifts more towards the west. The Regional Counts of Gollachgau's manor was situated in the Bavarian village of Hohlach. The name "Hohenlohe"is probably derived from the castle name "Hohenloch" or "Hohenlohe", although there is no evidence for this.
Heinrich von Weikersheim moved his home to Hohlach in 1178 where he took the name Hohenlohe on. The first official documentation of the Hohenlohe dynasty comes from the year 1153, the time of Emperor Barbarossa. Konrad and Heinrich von Weikersheim are mentioned in this, Konrad called himself "von Hohenlohe" here.

In the 13th century the estates around Mergentheim were given to the Teutonic Order as 3 brothers from the Hohenlohe dynasty joined it. The remaining estates went to Gottfried (Burg Hohenlohe and Langenburg) and Konrad (Burg Brauneck near Creglingen). Gottfried von Hohenlohe is the founding father of all the living Hohenlohes, as the Brauneck line died out with his brother Konrad in the 14th century. These brothers were in the service of Emperor Frederick II of Hohenstaufen and increased their property as a result.
Gottfried von Hohenlohe was married to Richza von Krautheim, the marriage resulted in Kraft I., the main line's heir. The name "Kraft" was usual in the mother's family.
In the 14th and 15th century, the family was fragmented into several lines, several of which died out. This fragmentation was also probably the cause for the Hohenlohe dynasty not being able to form an independent state. Despite this they were committed and loyal staff to the kings. In 1450 they were elevated to Counts of the Empire status. One important development between the years 1551 and 1555 was the major division of the state that produced the Neuenstein and Waldenburg main lines.
During the Renaissance the princes started to convert their castles into palaces, the building work lasted well into the Baroque period in fact. The castles in Waldenburg and Neuenstein were converted during this time.

Wolfgang II had Schloss Weikersheim built from 1586 and Schloss Kirchberg and Hermersberg were also created under him. It was also him who created the Hohenlohe officialdomand revived education and forestry.
During the Thirty Years' War, when all the Hohenlohe Counts fought on Gustav Adolf's side, many of the castles were burnt down or plundered following their defeat. In the Baroque period they were redeveloped though, the castle in Schillingsfürst was built, and the so-called "Karlsvorstadt" was built in Öhringen.

In 1744 the Hohenlohe-Waldenburg and Neuenstein lines were elevated to Prince status. In 1757 the Phoenix Order was founded as the dynasty order, the motto "Ex Flammis Orior - Arisen from the flames" has stood for the Hohenlohe dynasty since then. The independence of the Hohenlohe princes ended in 1806; the estates went to Württemberg, Schillingsfürst went to Bavaria.

 





Customs

Customs

Hohenlohe is a region with tradition and customs and a great love of celebrating.

Learn more
The State Garden Show 2016 in Öhringen

The State Garden Show 2016 in Öhringen

The Baden-Württemberg State Garden Show is taking place in Öhringen from 22 April to 9 October 2016. Recreational, leisure and relaxation areas are being created for all generations in the historical Hofgarten, along the Ohrn river and in the Cappelaue.

Learn more